Sunday, February 28, 2010

So.. it’s 28 Feb 2010 and I’m sitting in Beograd, Srbija.  I’ve moved finally.  Been here since 28 Jan 2010.  There are a couple of things I’ve come to realize already in my short time here…

1. Check into the police department within 24 hours if you plan on staying more than a couple of days. It’s the law.. no matter what your embassy might tell you.  You can be fined, prosecuted, and serve jailtime with parole if you do not.  Luckily, I managed to fix this before the worst happened.

2.  Serbia has some of the nicest people I’ve ever met.  Well, I consider it nice, though I’ve been told it’s just upbringing and manners.  Either way…it needs to spread west.  The USA could use a good dose of Serbian hospitality and manners.

Though my stay has had a few snags and hiccups, thus far I’m quite pleased with my discussion.  I have not had the time to explore the city yet or meet tons of locals.  Priorities are first.. job.. then socializing to the max.  Though staying with Nemanja makes life so joyful for many reasons and fills this void I would have if I didn’t know anyone here.  Without him and his mom, my stay would have been miserable thus far.  Or at least VERY lonely.  But that’s one of the many reasons I love him.

Some things I’ve noticed while here…

1. Graffiti everywhere – Mostly football clubs or political sayings.  Lots of 1389 and Fuck USA.  Can’t blame them.  Lots of United Force or some of the other football clubs. But there is a ton of graffiti back home, so this isn’t something new.. but our graffiti in Memphis is 95% gang related.

2.  Lack of crime – I’m definitely not used to that!  But it’s awesome. I feel safe here.  Not just because of Nemanja, but because Beograd doesn’t have the same crime problems Memphis did.  I don’t fear being mugged on the buses, harassed on the streets for being a foreigner, or anything in between or beyond!   It’s amazing.  And somewhat surprising to many since the opinion of most about Serbia is that it is a political wasteland with no morals and simply a breeding ground for immoral behavior and genocides.  However, in the month  I’ve been here.. I’ve definitely seen the exact opposite.

But for now, this is it.. Will be posted more regularly hopefully.  So expect to see more rants, comparisons, and just in general good times and stories.

4 comments:

  1. Nice to see you are enjoying it here, I am Serbian but lived in US for 7 years and went to Uni over there, but am as of recently back in Belgrade and loving it here. Especially the lack of crime and the manners.

    Just wanted to comment that the police check-in is not really enforced that much, and they practically never ask for your white card at the airport, you do need it if crossing land borders though.

    Also, there is graffiti other than those you mention, there are some really talented street artists and I'm sure you've noticed one of the more prominent ones that is tagged with the letters TKV. I really enjoy street art in Belgrade and there are some locations where you can find really nice murals, I'm sure you'll see them now that the weather is nice and you start exploring the city more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed, Kiki! It shall not be easy, but if you give it a chance, you will have a good time. Use your free time to travel outside Belgrade. There are nice places to see! I live in NC, USA now, graduate studies... We sort of exchanged places!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to post more please, Ms. Kiki. ;) Since I am no longer living within driving distance, I would like to know your ideas on where you're living and how you manage your "two worlds." Miss you, sweetie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All - Thank you first off for reading my blog. It is greatly appreciated.

    Miloš - I agree!! The street art is amazing! I love graffiti. I will look for TKV from now on. Was out and about in the city today looking for those initials. :) As for the police.. the only reason I have to obey all those rules for now is because I do not want to risk it affecting my ability to obtain a work visa. My embassy is of no help so I do not want to risk anything right now. Playing by all rules. :) Thanks for the heads up.. just in case. ;)

    Katarina - I love NC!!! It's my home state. Where in NC are you? Are you enjoying it? At least most parts of NC are nice. Why the USA for graduate though? Education here is so much better. At least in my opinion. Guess it would also depend on what field you are in. I hope you're enjoying NC. I love it there.

    Stephie - I'm beginning to post more regularly. Or trying to at least. I think I've figured out a way to juggle between this blog and slavicmuse.wordpress.com for now. We will see what happens. :) Miss you, sweetie!!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete